Stacy Lee
"the ocean moves" is the second piece in my Nautical Series. The first piece is "the ocean calls" which is of the conch shell. "the ocean moves" is entirely a digital painting done by a Wacom Intuos3 tablet using Corel Painter. Here is how I started and progressed in the painting to get the final result.

Step 1: I just wanted to cover the entire canvas to get the basic shape and movement of the wave. Thus, I used a large brush here.

Step 2: Here, I started to build upon what I had already laid down. I started to use a smaller brush to fill in some more detailed colors and highlights.


Step 3: Here, I really went in and started refining areas of the painting to give it a more solid shape and to really bring out the overall structure of the wave.

Step 4: Next, I went in and added more details to the wave since the structure and the shape of the wave was more apparent.


Step 5: After Step 4, I realized that the brush I was using was making the painting look blurry and not quite as impressionistic as I liked. I wanted the piece to be clear and yet impressionistic in order to really bring out the movement of the wave. Thus, I went over the entire painting with a different brush in Painter in order to make the wave more bold, impressionistic, and clear. I went right over top of the old brush strokes and began to fill in the wave with the same colors.


Step 6: Then, I refined what I did in step 5 to create the final piece. I realized that I didn't like the look of the sea mist at the top right hand corner so I scratched that. I wanted the focus to be more on the actual wave itself. I also used a blender brush to really get the feeling of the water mist that was coming off of this powerful wave. The final result:


To see a bigger version of "the ocean moves" go here and click on the painting.
Print & frame my art at Imagekind...
0 Responses